This travel policy supersedes all previous versions and is current as of June 2016.
Click here to download a 2016 ITRC Travel Reimbursement Form.
ITRC provides travel cost reimbursement to state, public stakeholder, tribal stakeholder, and academic members of ITRC who are pre-approved to attend ITRC events, conferences and other approved meetings. Travel costs include but are not limited to airfare, meals and incidentals at per diem rates, applicable registration fees, and lodging. Travel reimbursement is provided by ITRC according to federal guidelines, as well as ITRC’s Travel Policy. ITRC travelers are expected to refer to the ITRC Logistics Sheet for each travel event.
**NEW: All individual reimbursement claims must be emailed to both Carolyn Sistare at email@example.com, and Kelly Collis at firstname.lastname@example.org within 30 days of the completion of travel; ITRC will not reimburse claims submitted later than 30 days.
- Original receipts for all expenses greater than $25 must be scanned and submitted electronically with the reimbursement claim.
- Travelers must make every attempt to purchase the airline ticket as early as possible and to obtain the lowest available airfare. When determining the lowest airfare, costs will be compared among all applicable airlines. Pre-approval from the ITRC Director is required for any airfare above $700.00.
- ITRC budgets $1200 per traveler for the total cost of the trip and every attempt must be made not to exceed this limit.
- Please utilize the ITRC Reimbursement Form that you receive from either the ITRC Team Leader/Program Advisor or ITRC Director for your specific event.
Reimbursement Request Requirements
- Airfare: ITRC will only reimburse travelers for non-refundable coach airfare. Acceptable airfare receipts include email confirmation receipts, the customer’s copy of the ticket or a paid airline invoice, which must reflect the traveler’s name, the dates and destinations of travel, and the total costs paid. Preapproval from the ITRC Director is needed for airfare exceeding $700, and must be requested at least 2 weeks prior to the travel date. ITRC will reimburse each traveler for only one paid checked bag.
- Personal Vehicle Expenses: Pre-approval from the ITRC Director must be requested at least 2 weeks prior to travel for car mileage claims totaling 600 miles or more roundtrip. A cost estimate must be submitted prior to pre-approval that shows a cost savings to ITRC of driving vs. flying. The cost estimate must include mileage costs and parking as well as airline quotes from various airlines and associated air travel costs.
- Rental Car: Pre-approval from the ITRC Director is required for reimbursement of rental car charges. Pre-approval and reimbursement will only be provided in cases where the cost of taxis/shuttles would exceed the cost of a rental car or in other mitigating circumstances. A cost comparison must be submitted prior to pre-approval showing rental car charges (gas and parking, etc.) as compared to the cost of taxis/shuttles.
- Lodging: Hotel arrangements will be at the best available government, convention, or corporate rate provided by hotels and must be supported by a complete hotel receipt which itemizes the daily rate, taxes, and room-night usage claimed by the traveler. Credit card receipts, etc., that do not reflect this itemized information are not acceptable substitutes. In cases where ITRC has established a special room block and meeting rate at or near the meeting location (or at an overflow hotel), those facilities must be used, and their contracted rate will be the maximum amount of lodging costs reimbursable to an individual. ITRC reserves the right to limit reimbursement to either the government rate or contract rate in any case where the traveler pays a higher rate for his/her hotel room. Travelers will only be reimbursed for the number of travel days/hotel nights indicated in the ITRC announcement of the sponsored event. Should the traveler have an individual requirement for additional days/nights based on travel distance, inadequate flight schedules, etc., it is their responsibility to contact the ITRC Director and resolve the matter prior to travel.
- Parking (Airport, Train Station, & Hotel): ITRC will reimburse for the cost of economy parking lots or standard weekly or long-term airport or rail station parking costs. For hotel parking, ITRC will reimburse up to the full cost of self-parking. If self-park is not available, ITRC will reimburse the full cost of valet parking. A receipt is required when the total cost of the parking exceeds $25, regardless of the daily rate.
- Per Diem (M&IE): Hotel, meal, and incidental charges (tips) must be within the federal per diem rates. Federal per diem rates are an allowance for lodging (excluding taxes), meals, and related incidental expenses. Claims for meals will not be reimbursed when a meal is provided by ITRC or at a sponsored event.
- Cancellation of Trip: If a traveler is unable to travel once airline tickets have been purchased or hotel reservations are nonrefundable, the traveler is responsible for cancelling all reservations and informing ITRC staff. If the cancellation is due to a last minute supervisor’s decision or a personal emergency, the traveler may be reimbursed for the airfare cancellation fee and one night’s hotel charges. If a traveler does not cancel the reservations, they will not be reimbursed by ITRC.
ITRC will not reimburse travelers for the following items:
- Personal items, alcoholic beverages, ATM fees, entertainment, or pay-TV services
- Additional cost for upgraded (i.e., extra leg room, exit row), business or first-class tickets
- Travel insurance
- Travel agency fees if not required by state agency
- Airfare if miles were used to pay for the flight